I recently had the pleasure of seeing this version of the Brown Rice Salad being made by my Group Leader at one of our cooking classes. I have to say, I was so impressed, that I made sure I shared the recipe on my blog. I’ve had a Thermomix for 5 years now & had never made this recipe from the Everyday Cookbook or the Basic Cookbook. It wasn’t until I saw it being made & then tasted it, that I realised what an amazing dish this is. The salad is vegetarian & vegan without feta (which is optional). The quantity in this recipe would feed at least 8 adults. I personally usually halve the recipe when I make it & still have enough for a few lunches or dinners, as it keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Cooked in layers, using the Varoma, the recipe also incorporates some new steaming techniques using baking paper. By creating a platform on the base of the Varoma dish with two forks, you can pack the dish with parcels of food. This allows you to cook each vegetable to it’s perfect cooking time – cook beetroot the longest & add the lighter veggies for the last 5-6 minutes. This technique also prevents different foods ‘bleeding’ into each other during the cooking. See the notes for more details & photo’s!
Thanks for sharing this lovely version of the recipe Michelle Moss!
300g brown rice
100g roasted cashews
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 large beetroot, diced
2 bunches asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1-2 red capsicum, sliced
120g baby spinach
4 spring onions
100g feta (optional)
60g olive oil
60g lemon juice
60g soy sauce or tamari
1)Weigh brown rice & quinoa into the simmering basket. Cover with cold water & soak for at least 1 hour (or up to 24 hours).
2) Insert the simmering basket (containing rice & quinoa) into TM bowl & add 900g water. Cook 15 minutes/Varoma/speed3.
3) Meanwhile, prepare vegetables for cooking by wrapping them in parcels of baking paper (see photo’s in Notes)
4) Place 2 forks or chopsticks on the base of the Varoma dish (see photo’s in Notes), then place the parcel of beetroot on top of forks. Insert Varoma, cook 12 minutes/Varoma/speed3.
5) Add the asparagus & capsicum parcels to the Varoma dish, cook 6 minutes/Varoma/speed3.
6) Remove the Varoma dish & carefully check that vegetables are cooked to your liking.
7) Place spinach leaves in a large salad bowl.
8) Remove the simmering basket & pour cooked rice/quinoa over the leaves. Add cooked vegetables, nuts, seeds & spring onions. Gently toss to combine.
9) To make the dressing, combine oil, lemon juice & soy sauce in a small jar. Shake well, pour over salad & toss to combine. Top with crumbled feta.
Season with salt & pepper. Serve warm or cold.
Placing 2 forks or chopsticks in the base of your Varoma dish, creates a platform that allows steam into the Varoma, so you can pack your dish full of food.
For this recipe, the parcel of beetroot does in the Varoma dish first, as it takes the longest to cook.
Add additional parcels of vegetables according to the cooking time they require.
Pouring the cooked rice & quinoa over the baby spinach wilt’s the leaves
I add all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar & shake well. You can pour it all over the salad, or keep some for the leftovers. The dressing could also be mixed in your TM bowl on speed 6 for 5 seconds.
When soaking the rice & quinoa, the basket fits into a Thermo Server.