I’ve always loved to bake, so of course I love to make gingerbread at Christmas time. However, I didn’t have a recipe which I really loved. Last Christmas Eve, my lovely next door neighbour Ruth, dropped in to wish us a Merry Christmas. She gave me a bag of gingerbread biscuits her daughter had made. With my first bite, I told Ruth I must have the recipe! The gingerbread has a rich colour, perfect level of spice & most importantly, the texture is firm, not crumbly, which makes it perfect for making gingerbread houses!
Ruth is in her mid eighties & has lived in the house next door for over 50 years. She said the recipe was packed away in a cupboard, with her oldest recipe books, but she would try to find it. I’ve reminded her a few times & whenever I saw her she’d say “I must find that recipe for you dear”. Anyway, a few months ago, Ruth gave me the recipe. I first converted ounces to grams & then converted the recipe to make in my Thermomix. Over the years I have changed the recipe a little.
This recipe also has no egg, so if there’s an egg allergy or intolerance in your household, you will love this!
150g unsalted butter, cubed 80g dark brown sugar 80g brown sugar 60g golden syrup 60g Treacle 510g plain flour 1.5 heaped tsp ground ginger 1 heaped tsp ground mixed spice 1 level tsp cinnamon 3/4 tsp bi-carb soda 65g water
1) Place butter, sugars, treacle & golden syrup in TM bowl, melt 2 minutes/80°/speed 2.5 (you may need to increase the speed at the start if the butter is cold). Scrape down the sides of the bowl & melt further 1 minute/80°/speed 1.
2) Add remaining ingredients, mix 10-20 seconds/speed 5 (or until lights are green on your Thermomix unit).
3) Knead gingerbread for 1 minute on dough setting.
4) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Knead for 1 minute on dough setting (use your spatula through the hole in your lid to initially combine ingredients for about 10 seconds)
5) Tip out gingerbread onto a piece of glad wrap. You will need to use your TM spatula to get the dough out. The dough is quite sticky!! When most of the dough is out, I put the bowl back on the Thermomix & turbo a few times, to release the dough from around the blade. Wrap in glad wrap & refrigerate for 15 minutes only. Pre heat oven to 185°C
6) Roll out gingerbread on a non stick mat & cut shapes as desired.
7) Bake for 14-16 minutes. Allow to cool completely, before decorating or assembling a gingerbread house.
Don’t leave the gingerbread in the fridge for more than 20 minutes, as it will be too hard to roll out.
If you happen to leave your gingerbread in the fridge overnight & it’s too hard to roll, you can chop it up into pieces, put in the TM bowl & knead for a minute. Add small amounts of water through the hole in the lid, until the dough returns to rolling consistency.