This slice has fast become my family’s favourite! My kids absolutely love it & often get involved in making & icing it. I tried a few recipes, some too dry, but my favourite was from a blog called Make it Perfect. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little & adjusted everything to grams, so it’s so easy to weigh the ingredients into your bowl.
For an egg free version of this slice, replace the egg with 40-50g chickpea water. This is the water drained from a can of chickpeas. You won’t be able to tell the difference, in fact, I prefer it with the chickpea water.
10 weetbix (160g)
180g butter, cut into pieces
150g brown sugar
40g desicated coconut
180g icing sugar
20g soft butter
1) Pre heat oven to 170 degrees (fan forced). Grease & line a slice tin with baking paper.
2) Place weetbix in TM bowl, crush 5 seconds/speed 10. Set aside.
3) Without washing TM bowl, add butter, melt 3 minutes/60 degrees/speed 1.
4) Add cocoa, sugar, coconut, egg & reserved weetbix, mix 20 seconds/speed 4.
5) Scrape down the sides of the bowl, mix a further 10 seconds/speed 4.
6) Pour mixture into slice tin & press evenly into tin (see notes).
7) Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to thoroughly cool before icing.
1) Place icing sugar in TM bowl. Mill 5 seconds/speed 10. (No need to sift – it’s now done)!
2) Add cocoa & butter. Add 5-10g boiling water, then mix 10 seconds/speed 5.
3) Add 5-10g more boiling water & mix again 10 seconds/speed 5, until you achieve a smooth consistency. Don’t add more than 10g boiling water at a time, as too much & the icing will be too runny.
4) Pour icing on cooled slice & sprinkle with 100’s & 1000’s.
In my kitchen, food handling gloves are a must have! For this slice, I put some on & press the slice down evenly with my hands before it goes in the oven.
I cut up the whole slice into small pieces, then store half in the fridge for the kids to enjoy. The other half of the slice goes in the freezer, so I can always pop a few pieces in their lunch boxes.