One of my lovely customers sent me this recipe last year. She’s a fan of Pea & Ham soup & had tried making a few recipes, but wasn’t 100% happy with the results. So, she decided to make her own recipe, by blending a number of recipes together to get the result she was after. I first made this late last year, and was so excited to be able to share it with everyone this winter. The cooking time is considerable for a soup, so it’s not a soup to make if you’re after a quick & easy meal. However, if you’re a fan of this classic soup, you’re sure to love this recipe!
Thank you for the recipe Sharon Wilson!
3 cloves garlic
1 onion, halved
1 leek, white part only
1 stick celery
1 potato, peeled
1 tbsp vegetable stock paste
100g split green peas
1 large ham hock or 2 small ham hocks (approx. 1kg)
pepper to taste
1) Place onion, garlic & leek into TM bowl, chop 5 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
2) Add oil, cook 5 minutes/Varoma or 120 degrees/speed 1 (MC lid off).
3) Add roughly chopped carrot, celery & potato. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
4) Add water, stock paste, split peas & pepper to TM bowl. Place ham hocks into the Varoma dish & place into position.
5) Cook 60 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
6) Remove Varoma dish & set aside. Replace MC into bowl lid. Puree soup for 1 minute/speed 9 – Gradually increasing speed from speed 5 to 9.
7) Using a knife & fork, remove cooked ham from the bones & discard bones, skin & fat.
8) Chop/shred ham into small pieces & add to soup. Mix 20 seconds/reverse/speed 2.
Serve & enjoy! Suitable to freeze too.