Steaming chicken breasts in the Varoma is so easy & so is shredding the cooked chicken in your TM bowl. I always have shredded chicken in my freezer, frozen in 100g portions, that I defrost for adding to salads, wraps & sandwiches.
Before Thermomix, I worked for Peter Rowland Catering. PR is famous for his chicken sandwiches. I made some for a party a few years ago (of course they were a massive hit), but I poached the chicken for 30 minutes, plunged the breasts into cold water & then finely chopped the chicken. I then used a generous about of a ridiculously expensive mayonnaise & finally made my sandwiches. If only I had known back then, how do it my Thermomix!
1) Line Varoma tray with a sheet of baking paper. This is not essential, however, doing this makes cleaning your Varoma a breeze.
2) Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into 4 strips & place on Varoma tray.
3) Place 1000g boiling water in TM bowl & place lid & Varoma into position.
4) Cook for 15 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 3. Check to see chicken is cooked (may require a few more minutes cooking for larger quantities).
5) Remove chicken & cut strips in half.
6) Empty water from TM bowl (no need to wash) & place chicken in the bowl.
7) Mix 5 seconds/reverse/speed 3-4. Repeat until desired consistency is achieved.
Tips for the perfect chicken sandwich:
Use home made mayonnaise made in your TM. It will take 6 minutes to make!
Add some crunch – add chopped celery or pinenuts to the chicken/mayo mixture. You can even add a very light curry with mango!
2 thoughts on “Shredded Chicken”
You have inspired me to do this, packaging up portions that will work for the kids sandwiches and for me to take to work to throw in with some cooked quinoa, nuts and roast vegies!
I’m so thrilled I’ve inspired you & you’ve inspired me to add the chicken to quinoa, nuts & roast vegies! That sounds like a delicious lunch. Thanks so much for the feedback!