This is a Thermomix version of a Roast Chicken. Steaming the chicken in the Varoma means it has a much less fat content than a roasted chicken. This dish is very tasty, the flavour from the lemon & herbs really comes through the meat, which is lovely & tender. The paprika salt rubs adds flavour & gives the chicken a ‘roasted’ look. After the chicken is cooked, keep the liquid in the TM bowl, as it’s now chicken stock! Refrigerate overnight, so you can scrape the fat off the next day. Use to make soups etc. or freeze to use at a later date.
1 lemon, peeled & remove pith (reserve zest)
1 whole medium sized chicken (approx 1.2-1.3kg)
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs rosemary
4 sprigs parsley
5g ground paprika
20g sea salt
5 small new potatoes, skin on
2 carrots, cut into chunks
1/2 head brocoli, cut into florets
1) Wash cavity of chicken & fill with whole peeled lemon, garlic & rosemary. Place into the Varoma dish.
2) Place reserved lemon zest & parsley in TM bowl, chop for 8 seconds/speed 7. scrape down sides of the bowl.
3) Add paprika & salt, mix for 5 seconds/speed 3. Rub mixture over chicken.
4) Add 1.8 litres hot water to TM bowl (no need to wash bowl). Set Varoma into position & cook for 55 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 1.
5) Add potatoes & carrots, placing them around the chicken & cook for 15 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 1.
6) Add broccoli & beans & cook for 8 minutes/Varoma temperature/speed 1.
7) Season chicken & vegetables & serve.
Source: Devil of a Cookbook
Substitute any vegetables, just add harder vegetables first so they cook longer.
This is the chicken stock made while the chicken was cooking.